Carbon Brick in Blast Furnace
Eiichi EGAMI, Shozo OKAMURA, Yashutake OHASHI, Hideo SHIMIZU
This paper presents the carbon brick-work and its wear during operation of Nos.1, 2, 3, and 4 blast furnaces at Wakayama Steel Works. Carbon bricks in the following parts are quickly worn out;
(1) the part where is inadequately cooled from outside,
(2) the part where carbon brick may be oxidized by charged oxide materials,
(3) the part where carbon brick receives mechanical abrasion by charged materials.
Therefore, the followings are concluded:
(1) Carbon brick should be used for the parts where cooling effect is sufficient, i. e. the lower part of furnace bottom and the peripheral part.
(2) In the upper part of bosh, schamotte brick is rather suitable, while carbon brick can be used at the lower part of bosh.
On the basis of the above conclusion, the brick-work of No4 blast furnace and No1 blast furnace (reconstructed) was designed. Since No4 blast furnace was blown-in (March, 1967), there have not been observed any troubles in brick-work, and the furnace operation is going well.